Saturday, June 23, 2012

30 Days of Yes - From Balancing Act to High Wire Act

I meant to write this blog shortly after watching Nik Wallenda's Watch Wallenda's Walk on ABC amazing trek into Canada on a thin wire high above Niagara Falls. I've got the kids with me 24/7 for the first half of summer so as I mentioned in my last blog I'm really focusing on living in the now (that would be with my children right now) while balancing the quest for full-time employment.

Wallenda's grueling high-wire walk was very inspirational and very timely for me. As I watched it live on ABC I watched it as a viewer taking in a sporting event. I was curious. I wanted to see how he would do and I wanted to be able to say, "I watched history in the making on live TV." It was captivating. Then I was drawn into his sense of calm, concentration and confidence. What was even more impressive? Wallenda's post-accomplishment interview. What an amazing person.

Wallenda is the ultimate of 30 Days of Yes. There was not an ounce of "no" in his daredevil activity. I had a pretty tough week of some unfortunate circumstances prior to watching the walk. I won't get into details because many are dealing with far worse situations and the obstacles weren't anything that couldn't be overcome - just a distraction. And if Wallenda can cross high above the turbulent Niagara Falls on a very thin cable then I could do just about anything.

As I watched his interview it really hit me. He was demonstrating two very important parts of life which gets me back to what I am learning in my 30 Days of Yes (which has now become "365 Days of Yes"). My previous blog was about balancing and this blog is about visualizing and realizing accomplishments. There's no doubt that Wallenda could not have crossed that wire without being balanced. And there's no doubt that he could not have crossed that wire if he had fear of failure on his mind. What came out loud and clear to me in his interview was 1. he said he has played out the scenario of crossing Niagara Falls on a tight rope in his mind since he was a young kid. 2. he said he did not allow his mind to be filled with negative possibilities.


It really clicked. after hearing him say this. If he was able to cross Niagara Falls on a tight rope, which was probably one of the most difficult physical and mental feats to ever be attempted, then anyone should be able to accomplish what they want to or need to accomplish. I know my challenges are nothing compared to what he just did so what have I got to be worried about.


Focus on being balanced and keep playing out in your mind what you want to do and don't let fear of failure keep entering your mind.


It' all about "yes, yes." Not "no, no." I don't want to put words into Wallenda's mouth but I bet you while crossing the Niagara, Wallenda only had this on his mind, his gratitude to God and "yes, I will make it all the way across." I'm pretty sure the phrase "no, I can't do this" ever entered his mind.


I recently came across a great blog that relates health fears to Wallenda's walk I want to share with you too.
No Fear: A High-Wire Health Habit


My next activity in 30 Days of Yes is to take a picture of something that resonates with me. Can you guess what that picture will look like?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, but not the commentators who said his future lies in the balance or other stupid comments like his family is waiting on the other side if he makes it.... blah blah blah, HE WAS TETHERED IN since ABC wouldn't carry the stunt with 'death' possibility part of the story! SO the whole thing was a faked stunt, life and death was not part of the event...which might sound negative, but Evil's snake river jump was more light threating when i was a kid...

    ReplyDelete