Thursday, June 28, 2012

30 Days of Yes - Yes, Your Perfect Job is Out There

Anyone who has read my "30 Days of Yes" blog knows I am searching for full-time work. 


Today, I felt compelled to answer a question posted by someone in a LinkedIn thread. The question basically goes like this:  "I have years of experience but given the state of the job market should I take the first job offered or continue to hold out for a better job?"


I joined in on the thread but I didn't give a "Yes or No" answer to the question because I don't think there is an "either/or" response.  You could say "Yes", because you may not get another offer in this economy. But you wouldn't go marrying the first girl you meet just because you think you will never find another who is a better companion for you. So, the answer could also be "No", because you shouldn't just settle. Instead of answering "yes or no", I joined in on the conversation to illustrate what I have learned in my full-time job search journey hoping to give guidance and encouragement to frustrated job seekers. 


Below is an enhanced blog version of my response on LinkedIn. (you are only allowed to use up to 4000 characters when posting on LinkedIn threads and there's much more I wanted to say so that's why I turned it into a blog)  


Here's what I have learned hunting for a job in St. Louis, and everywhere else for that matter. I have never been without a job for a long period of time. I have never searched for a job during a down economy. I have been in the broadcast and marketing business for almost 25 years. I came to St. Louis after working and living in Hawaii for 17 years to take a job coaching men's basketball and teach some communications courses at my Alma mater.


To use a basketball term, I thought finding my next job would be a slam dunk because of my career experience. In the past I have always gone from one job to the next interviewing with the hiring manager or the owner of the business. I have never had to use the online process to find a job. In fact, I rarely had to supply a resume because I mostly met with managers who already knew my history. 

Well, the slam dunk of finding a job soon became one missed layup after another. As a news person I used to write about unemployment numbers on a monthly basis but those unemployment numbers don't register with you when you are employed. 

So here are some job search tips from my personal experience of looking for work: 

- These days almost every job you apply for will be through an online process. Do what you can do to find out who the hiring manager is so you can directly reach that person and try to score an in-person meeting. 



-There's a science to applying through the online madness. In most cases these days you will have to go through that process even if you do know the hiring manager. You need to make sure words and skills detailed on your resume and cover letter match the words and skills in the job description of the position you are applying for. 

- There are a lot of great jobs out there but unfortunately there are a lot of great people applying for the one job you want. Don't worry about the others just focus on yourself. 



-People who are employed and who have never been unemployed,especially in the midst of a harsh economy, have trouble relating to what it feels like to be unemployed. I know because I used to think I would always have a job. I used to think if one didn't have a job one must not be good at what they do. That's wrong. There are a lot of extremely qualified people without a job. Don't let the employed frustrate you they may be your future boss. For those who have a job don't get taken advantage of by your employers (Some act as if they can since they know you are lucky to have one) but at the same time be very grateful for having a job. 


- You may be told over and over that you are overqualified for many of the jobs out there and not specialized enough to be the perfect fit for other jobs. There's a high demand for specialization but at the same time it seems you have to know how to do many things because a lot of jobs have been consolidated into one job. Do your best to become specialized even if that means taking some new courses or reading up on your trade to enhance what you already do. The more you know about specialty areas the higher the demand will be for you. Plus, it's fun to learn more. 

- Get help to revamp your resume. You may think you have a great resume based on your experience alone but you must make sure the style and format of your resume are current. 
Don't be a job experience hoarder. Clean up the resume. Just like the junk in your home you will have to purge some of your extraneous experience on your resume. It's difficult when you are proud of every job you have held but listing all your jobs make you look old and like a journeyman.  Come up with a gripping objective/mission (and you may have to change that paragraph for each new job you apply for so it matches the posted job description). Use bullet points to highlight your skills and make sure those skills match what the employer is looking for. If they don't, don't waste your time applying for the job. You can find current resume templates online or through friends who have updated resumes.

- Work LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and other networks like crazy. By doing this, I have had quite a few coffee meetings with folks in St. Louis who are well-connected. By using LinkedIn and other forms of networking it's a great way to find out who you know working at places where you are applying for jobs. You can also connect with many VIP's nationwide who can offer guidance from afar. You can search on LinkedIn by industry, companies, and names. Subscribe to and follow many of the LinkedIn business groups that are appropriate with your interests. Follow companies and people on Twitter who match your career aspirations. Many jobs get announced through "tweets" before they get posted.

- Don't have shame in telling people you are looking for work. They may know someone who knows someone who is looking for someone like you to fill a job. 

- Take this time to evaluate what you really want to do and go after it. Maybe this is a good time for a career change or a good time to follow your lifelong passion. 

- Brainstorm with yourself or others to come up with job ideas that are off shoots of what you already do. Don't pigeon hole yourself into your past career (i.e. if you are a teacher you could end up being a good corporate trainer. Or, you could become a consultant in your area of expertise. A lot of companies are outsourcing these days. Your consulting business could turn in to your full-time job. 

- Many companies do not return e-mail or phone inquiries about jobs. I return every e-mail so that really bothers me when I don't get responses. Believe me, I get a lot of e-mails too. But don't let this discourage you. All it takes is one person, one job. 



- When you post anything on social media regarding your search, make it positive. No one wants to hire or work with anyone who is negative.


- Keep knowing "Yes!" there is a job out there for you.

2 comments:

  1. Due to competition it is true that sometime unemployment period has too long however you don’t hopeless and always try to find out opportunities. Prepare well all related questions and present to himself as a potential employee.

    Regards,

    jobs in UAE Dubai

    ReplyDelete